RELATED: Top Crypto News This Week
Best Crypto Credit Cards
Crypto Credit Cards Summary
BlockFi Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card
The BlockFi Rewards Visa poster offers comparable rewards to flat cash back cards :
- 1.5% back in crypto on every purchase
- 3.5% back in crypto rewards for the first 90 days after account opening (capped after $100 worth of crypto earned)
- After you spend at least $50,000 annually, rewards raise to 2% back in crypto on every purchase
- Rewards are automatically redeemed monthly and transferred to your BlockFi Interest Account, where you can earn additional interest
- No annual fee, no foreign transaction fees
- 14.99%-24.99% variable APR
It ’ s besides a Visa Signature batting order, which means it comes with add benefits like access to Visa ’ south Luxury Hotel Collection, rental car savings, locomotion and leverage protections, and more. If you apply for the BlockFi menu, you ’ ll need to read your cardholder agreement for the specific Visa Signature benefits it offers .
Gemini Credit Card
The Gemini Credit Card hasn ’ thyroxine launched for applications even, but it did recently begin inviting waitlist members for early entree. Unlike BlockFi ’ s two-dimensional rewards, Gemini ’ s crypto rewards circuit board offers tiered savings :
- 3% back on dining, 2% back on groceries, and 1% back on everything else
- You can redeem your rewards for Bitcoin, or choose any cryptocurrency available on Gemini (including well-known altcoins like Ethereum or Bitcoin Cash)
- Rewards are automatically deposited into your Gemini account when you make a purchase, so you can begin investing immediately. If you have an interest-earning Gemini Earn account, you can also choose to have your rewards deposited there
- No annual fee
Because the batting order international relations and security network ’ thyroxine presently available, there ’ s no information so far on other fees and terms that will apply. The Gemini Credit Card is a World Mastercard, so it ’ ll carry extra benefits like savings with partners including DoorDash and Lyft, price protections, and more .
SoFi Credit Card
SoFi launched its SoFi Credit Card in 2020 as a flat cash back card with the option to redeem rewards into an eligible SoFi account — which included SoFi scholar or personal loans, SoFi Money cash account, or SoFi Invest accounts. In 2021, it added the choice to invest rewards in crypto through your crypto account with SoFi Invest :
- Earn 3% cash back rewards for a year when you set up direct deposit with SoFi. After that, earn 2% unlimited cash back on purchases when redeemed toward investing, saving, or paying down an eligible loan with SoFi.
- 500 rewards points ($5 value) required to redeem rewards as crypto
- Crypto redemptions limited to Bitcoin and Ethereum
- No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees
- 13.24%-25.24% variable APR
- After 12 on-time monthly payments of at least the minimum amount due, SoFi will reduce your APR by 1%
The SoFi Credit Card is a World Mastercard, so it offers extra benefits like discounts with partner brands ( including Lyft, DoorDash, and ShopRunner ), cellular telephone security, purchase and travel protections, and more .
Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Card
Upgrade ’ s Bitcoin Rewards Card, like early crypto rewards options, resembles flat cash back reward offerings :
- 1.5% back in Bitcoin rewards when you pay down your purchases (not when you make the purchase)
- Bitcoin is redeemed within 1-2 statement periods after your payment is received
- You can’t do much with your Bitcoin rewards besides hold them in your Upgrade account or sell. There’s no option to transfer your Bitcoin to another wallet, and there’s a 90-day holding period after redemption before you’re eligible to sell
- Once you do sell your Bitcoin holdings, you’ll incur a 1.5% transaction fee and can only receive the money from the sale as a statement credit
- No annual fee and no foreign transaction fees
- 8.99%-29.99% APR — if you carry a balance, the Upgrade Card works more like an installment loan; you’ll pay off equal monthly installments over a fixed period
The Upgrade card offers the least tractability when it comes to Bitcoin rewards, and the other cards on this list are likely better options for earning and investing. If your goal is to plainly own Bitcoin as a store of value before finally selling it, you can do that with this poster, but you won ’ metric ton be able to hold your coins in your own wallet or exchange them for any other crypto .
How Do Crypto Credit Card Rewards Work?
citation cards tied to your investments aren ’ thymine unprecedented — the Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature Card, for exemplify, offers 2 % back on every purchase when you deposit your earnings into an eligible Fidelity investment score. Crypto rewards cards work similarly. You use the tease to charge any purchase you would normally make with a credit card, and earn a certain percentage back. Like typical rewards cards, some earn a flat rate on every purchase, while others offer bonus rewards in certain categories, like dining or groceries. Because these cards work like any other rewards card, they besides come with the risk of high-interest debt if you fail to pay down the balance in full when your monthly affirmation is due. They carry the like variable interest rates as early credit cards, typically ranging anywhere from around 10 % to upwards of 20 % APR. Crypto rewards may offer electric potential prize over clock, but they can besides be quickly wiped out by any balances that accrue interest at these senior high school rates. The main difference between a crypto rewards credit circuit board and other rewards cards is in the redemption serve. rather of cash back or statement credits, you ’ ll earn that percentage back in crypto. For example, if you spend $ 1,000 in a calendar month on a card earning 2 % spinal column crypto rewards, you may be able to redeem those rewards for $ 20 deserving of Bitcoin. Because these cards are co-branded with a crypto exchange or investment platform, your crypto is typically deposited into your associate report .
Drawbacks of Crypto Rewards Credit Cards
Crypto rewards can be a valuable way to add to your holdings if you ’ ve decided to take the gamble and invest in Bitcoin or another type of crypto. Because it ’ randomness “ absolve ” money, you might find it a less bad option than putting your own money into crypto. But there ’ randomness still an opportunity monetary value.
Read more: Pachinko Tokens FOR SALE!
“ You ’ re giving up a indisputable thing, ” says Beverly Harzog, credit rating card adept and consumer finance analyst for U.S. News and World Report. Crypto is a bad asset, unlike the repair measure of cash back or relatively standard redemption measure of credit card points. It ’ south true that the respect of your crypto credit calling card rewards could increase over time — equitable like any crypto investment — but it ’ s not a guarantee the way your points and miles or cash back valuations are with more traditional credit menu options. even the Fidelity menu, though still based on investments, can make for more of a undertake tax return, says Ted Rossman, senior industry analyst at CreditCards.com ( like NextAdvisor, CreditCards.com is owned by red Ventures ). “ That calling card gives you 2 % cash back that you could put in an S & P 500 index fund. You know, that ’ s credibly a safer stake to get top from your rewards, ” Rossman says. Another electric potential limitation is the types of cryptos for which you can redeem rewards. While some cards offer your choice of crypto, some only offer Bitcoin rewards. Experts recommend most people stick to Bitcoin ( or Ethereum ) for long-run crypto investing anyhow, but if you wanted to use this as a means to explore other altcoins, your options may be limited .
Why Would You Choose a Crypto Rewards Card Over Other Rewards?
There are advantages to these cards, though. Rossman compares crypto investing through these cards to “ gambling with house money. ” “ To me that ’ randomness more alluring than putting my ‘ own ’ money into it, ” Rossman says. “ At the end of the day it kind of is your own money — you could use that cash back to offset your remainder or you could use travel rewards to plan a trip — but for me the frame of it is important. ” even though it ’ s not a guarantee like those options, the potential top of increased value on rewards is still enticing. But it ’ s besides significant to cover your fiscal priorities before opening a new credit card or putting money into a bad investment like cryptocurrency. Make sure you have money saved in an hand brake fund, pay down any existing high-interest debts you owe, and contribute to a conventional retirement report like a 401 ( kilobyte ) before buying into crypto — whether using rewards or your “ own ” cash. When you are certain you have the cash to spare, there are a few more reasons these cards might add prize, particularly if you already have some crypto ( and if that crypto is on the same chopine that issues your rewards accredit poster ) :
- Fees: You can always earn cash back from a traditional rewards credit card, then use your rewards to buy more crypto yourself. But by earning crypto rewards directly, you can circumvent some of the trading fees exchanges charge for converting U.S. dollars to crypto.
- Security: Crypto rewards cards are issued in partnership with issuing banks and on established networks like Visa and Mastercard, so your purchases are just as secure and widely accepted as any other traditional credit card.
- Timing: Even after you’ve made an initial investment of your own, rewards can be a useful way to practice dollar-cost averaging with crypto, especially if you choose a card that redeems your rewards on a regular basis or automatically after your purchase.
Crypto Debit Cards and Prepaid Debit Cards
Crypto rewards credit cards require you to forgo what is basically release cash with ceremonious rewards cards, but using one international relations and security network ’ t inherently a bad fiscal decisiveness — equally retentive as you exercise good credit habits.
Crypto debit cards, on the other hand, can be much more hazardous. These cards frequently earn rewards on your spend, like crypto rewards credit cards. The deviation is in how you spend. Crypto debit cards allow you to pay for goods and services using the convert rate of your crypto holdings to fiat currency ( like U.S. dollars ). Because cryptocurrencies are highly fickle and their monetary value values fluctuate constantly, they ’ re not a good choice for spend, specially for long-run investors. not only is volatility a red sag, but there are besides lend tax implications. Credit cards rewards you earn on spending — whether in the form of points, cash back, or Bitcoin — are viewed as rebates on spend, Rossman says, and not taxed when earned ( though you will pay capital gains taxes on crypto rewards when you convert them back to U.S. dollars ). But each prison term you cash out your crypto holdings to spend them via debit wag, that ’ s a taxable event. Coinbase ’ s not-yet-released debit card offer, for example, will allow you to spend any asset in your Coinbase portfolio ( while earning rewards ), and Coinbase automatically converts your crypto to U.S. dollars when you make a purchase. But it ’ s up to you to track those conversions, and report any gains or losses on the value of your crypto to report on your tax returns. Depending on the batting order, you may besides be charged fees for your conversions or transactions. “ I think if you ’ re in crypto in the first put it ’ second because you think it ’ s going to go up over time, ” Rossman says. “ I don ’ t actually view cryptocurrency as a currentness in the feel that we ’ re going to use it to buy our casual coffee … I tend to view it more of an investment. It ’ second just like you might not sell stocks or bonds or gold to buy lunch or something. ”
Should You Get a Crypto Rewards Credit Card?
If you ’ rhenium looking for a way to get into crypto because you don ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate want to risk your own money, cryptocurrency may not be the best investment option for you. But these cards can be a relatively low-risk way to test the waters, Harzog says. And for crypto enthusiasts who have already accepted the hazard, they can be a solid way to bolster your portfolio — therefore long as you ’ re willing to forgo the cash that other rewards cards give you for your spend. good consider the opportunity cost of the cash back or travel rewards you ’ re giving up. While you shouldn ’ triiodothyronine trust on citation card rewards in any form as a separate of your monthly budget, “ you do need to make indisputable that you ’ re at least on solid adequate foot that those cash back rewards might not have been better used elsewhere, ” Rossman says. “ Or, you know, possibly you ’ re sacrificing the opportunity to get a free trip. ” There ’ second besides the standard risks of credit cards in general. If you ’ rhenium already in accredit poster debt, or you have difficulty paying down your balance every month, a newfangled rewards credit card international relations and security network ’ metric ton going to help. If you do open one of these cards, make surely you practice good credit habits — pay your balances in wax and on time each calendar month — or you ’ ll end up paying more in interest than you earn in crypto rewards.
“ You just have to decide : how do you want your portfolio to look ? ” Harzog asks. “ And I ’ molarity think of not good your investments, but besides what ’ sulfur in your wallet. What credit cards do you have ? What kind of gamble can you manage, that you can feel well with ? ” Rossman says, in many ways, these cards appeal most to savvy users who are already customers of an exchange and looking to centralize rewards where they ’ re already invested. And, he hypothesizes, the companies themselves are probably viewing the cards with a long-run scheme that can be well-suited for long-run HODLers. “ none of these truly have the dazzling sign-up bonuses, ” Rossman says — which he finds reassuring. “ They ’ re not looking for the short-run, flash in the pan kind of [ points ] crippled. I think what they ’ rhenium looking for is either person who ’ s already a crypto fanatic that just wants more of it, or person who thinks they might want to try it out. ”